Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Retrospect and Prospect.

2008 comes to an end and 2009 with all its' uncertainties and unknowns lies ahead.

Looking back over 2008...it was a marathon political year.

Brack Obama won the Presidency. In 2009 and beyond, he must govern wisely because our very survival as a nation, and our individual and collective survivals are on the line.

I wish Barack Obama well, and will support him, as long as he charts the
proper course to help America and us survive the fateful days ahead.

I did my part, to chart a new course for Congress, by participating in the
September Democratic primary to succeed retiring Mike McNulty.

Paul Tonko won that seat. Now, like Barack Obama, Paul must leave the boilerplate rhetoric behind, and wean himself from the grip of special
interests and unions, and do what is best for his constituents in the 21st
CD and for America as a whole.

Paul must put America before political party. I wish him well and stand
ready to assist him in any way I can.

My blog contains a complete record of my campaign platform, and positions that I took regarding the priority issues facing our region,
state and nation.

Paul would do well to study it closely, and to advocate some of those
positions, including, but not limited to, (1) promoting emergency/disaster
preparedness at home, (2) abandoning the plan to dredge PCB's from the
Upper Hudson watershed, and reallocating the 500 million dollars to
rebuilding the aging water/sewer infrastructure of Troy, Albany, Cohoes
Watervliet, Stillwater and other watershed communities; (3) Restoring the Erie Canal-Mohawk-Hudson Waterway as a major routeway for shipment of freight, under an authority independent of the NYS Thruway; (4) rebuilding and expanding our regional rail system
including light rail to connect urban places with suburbs and rural areas
to move both freight and passengers; (5) restoring Watervliet arsenal as
a major weapons manufacturing facility, vital to our national defense.

Looking ahead, my focus will be local in 2009. My intent is to put into practice my beliefs and positions in the neighborhood and City of Albany.

Nonetheless, I will keep an eye on the state and national scene as well.

Hopefully, I will make my garden more productive than ever; and take better care of my pals Mick and Paddy. They need more exercise, as do I.

A happy, healthy and safe 2009 to all.

Joe Sullivan

No comments: